Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Has it really been THAT long???

I have so many great memories from my childhood years. The toys were awesome ... my imagination was used to the fullest ... and everything was so much more "simple".

"Back in the day" ... when I was a kid ... my parents did not have to worry about us ... when they went walking down the street. My parents did not lock their doors when they left ... or have to worry about having a fenced in back yard ... for security reasons. The speed limit was alot slower ... gas was way cheeper ... and cars were made like an army tank.

The word "sex" was not something you heard on TV ... and you for sure never saw a lady in her bra ... or someone's rear end ... on the TV in the middle of the day. Things seemed to be more "reserved" ... "layed back" ... and "calmer" when I was a kid.

Now ... there are times I have to flip off the TV in a nano second ... because there is something a tad bit to "risky" on the TV for my kids to see. The Trogan Condom commercials ... give me a break! That would never have been seen on TV when I was a child. The Hardee's commercials ... with the half naked girl eating a burger ... give me a break!

Anyways ... Hold onto your leg warmers folks ... we are going down memory lane.

Here is it ... my childhood put into list a form:

* Aerobic instructors wore leotards
* Bright pink lipstick
* Love My Eyes was the "cool" eyeshadow to buy
 * Snorkles * Colored rubber bands on braces
 * Side ponytails
 * Debbie Gibson
 * Water games * Rainbow Brite
* Barbie Dream House
* Sit n Spin
* My Pet Monster
* Frogger
* Pac Man
* Get Along Gang
* Valley Girl talk
* Wuzzles
* Furby
* Sister Sister
* Four Square
* Milli Vanilli
* Nobody was stronger than Dad
* Nobody was cooler than Mom
* The song: Livin on a Prayer ... sing it with me now ...

She says we've got to hold on to what we've got.
It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not.
We got each other and that's a lot.
For love we'll give it a shot!
Oh, we're half way there.
Oh oh, livin' on a prayer.
Take my hand, we'll make it I swear.
Oh oh, livin' on a prayer

* Beanie Babies
* POGO Balls


* Slumber parties
* Friendship beads that you put on a safety pin ... and put it on your shoe.
* Shoulder pads
* Cruising up and down Main Street
* Night Rider
* Alphie


* Bernstein Bears
* Sandbox made out of 4 boards
* George Michael
* Romana the Brave
* Cosby show
* MC Hammer pants
* Pants tucked into socks
* Book It
* Ricki Lake
* Geraldo
* Montel
* Sally Jessie Raphael ... and her red glasses
* Maury
* Playing MASH ... Mansion, Apartment, Shack or House


* OJ Simpson Trial
* The cartoon: DOUG
* Trapper Keeper
* I've fallen and I can't get up.
* Show Biz Pizza
* Planter's Cheese Balls use to come in a round container and had a yellow lid
* Cereal use to have a surprise at the bottom of the box ... after all ... what kind of prize that was in the box determined what cereal my sister and I picked out for the week.
* Trick or Treat Pails at McDonald's


* When you could get a small pack of stick gum for 25 cents
* Encyclopedia's ... thank goodness we have google now
* VCR ... so we could watch our VHS tape
* ALCO
* HUGE longest distance bills
* Silk button up shirts
* Pay Phones
* Candy cigarettes
* Gum cigars
* Charm necklaces
* Jello Pudding Pops ... vanilla was my favorite


* McDonald's sold collector glasses
* HUGE OVERSIZED poms poms when I was a cheerleader.
* Polaroid Camera
* Sticker books
* Paper dolls
* Light Bright
* Floppy disk
* Little Mermaid
* Toy Story 1
* Cinderella
* Gas was under a $1.00
* Dunk A Roos  

* Scrunchi's for your hair

Speaking of hair ...

* Mousse ... and lots of it. The crunchy-er the hair ... the better.
* Sun-In
* Overalls
* Mullet ... Business in the front and party in the back

* Black addidas shoes with 3 white stripes
* Birkenstock shoes
* Monchichi


* Pretty in Pink
* Sixteen Candles
* Glamour shots
* President Ronald Reagan ... and Nancy Reagan
* Challenger explosion
* Friday nights when Dallas was on. Who killed J.R. was a HUGE question for a really long time ...
* A-Team
* Mo-hawks
* Large neon hoop earrings
* Swatch Watches ... LOVED THEM


* Party of 5
* Fanny Packs ... although I never had one. Honest! I didn't!
* Choose your own adventure books
* Little Golden Books
* See Dick run. See Jane run.
* BIG lace hair bows
* Sunglasses with paint drippings on them
* Fisher Price brown and yellow record player

* Mood rings
* Purple Passion alcohol
* The Love Boat
* Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
* Seasme Street ... gotta love Bert and Ernie
* The show called: Dinosaurs ... "Not the Momma" and "I'm the baby. Gotta love me."
* Pop that came in glass bottles
* If you had to change the channel on the TV ... you had to actually get up and turn the knob on the TV.
* Popples





* Facts of Life
* Family Ties
* Rat Tails ... Still not sure why people thought that was a "cool thing' to do to their hair.
* Smurfs
* Jelly bracelets
* Three's Company
* Chain letters
* Tight rolled jeans
* Perfection ... I always put the circle in first. It was in the dead center ... and the easiest piece of find.

* Scratch and Sniff stickers
* Tom and Jerry
* Bugs Bunny
* Watching a movie at a Drive In
* Typewriters
* Hitting the "record button" on your boom box when your favorite song came on the radio
* Moon walking
* The fall of the Berlin Wall
* Speak and Spell

* Vanilla Ice Ice Baby ... sing it with me now:

Rollin' in my 5.0.
With my rag-top down so my hair can blow.
The girlies on standby ... waving just to say hi.
Did you stop ... no I just drove by.
Kept on pursuing to the next stop.
I busted a left and I'm heading to the next block.
The block was dead.
Yo so I continued to A1A Beachfront Avenue.

* Box Car Children Books
* Pee Wee's Play House ... "I know you are but what am I?"
* Birthday parties use to be held at McDonald's
* Top Gun
* Happy Days
* Lemonade stands
* Smurfs
* Cassette tapes
* Simon Memory Game ... I was the QUEEN of this game

* Flat top haircuts
* Jetsons
* Flintstones
* Eating out at McDonald's ... when the sandwiches were served in styrophome boxes
* The song: Pour Some Sugar On Me ... sing it with me now ...

Step inside, walk this way.
You and me babe, hey hey!
Love is like a bomb, baby, c'mon get it on.
Livin' like a lover with a radar phone.
Lookin' like a tramp, like a video vamp.
Demolition woman, can I be your man?
(Your man, hey, hey!)
Razzle 'n' a dazzle 'n' a flash a little light.
Television lover, baby, go all night.
Sometime, anytime, sugar me sweet.
Little miss innocent sugar me, yeah.


* Garbage Pail Kids
* Cadbury eggs were so much larger than they are now
* Cindy Lauper
* Teen Wolf
* Reading Rainbow
* Eeny, meeny, miny, mo
* Strawberry Shortcake
* Hyper Color T-shirts
* Little Professor ... of course my Mom (AKA: a teacher) bought me this darn thing as a child. As cute as the little thing was ... it was my worst nightmare. I can still hear it saying "Please try again" all the darn time. Oh how I hate math. *ugh*

* Tang ... I drank that stuff ALL.THE.TIME.
* Flash light tag
* Hop-scotch
* Carebears ... "Care Bears STARE"
* Yo-Yo's were cool
* Push Pops
* You knew who Michael Jordan was ... even if you never watched the NBA.
* Troll Dolls
* Merry go rounds were at every park
* Tetter Totters
* Saying, "Then why don't you marry it."
* Walkman
* C + J = TRL ... 80's defination Clint + Jill = True Love Forever
* Merlin ... I remember I always wanted one and my Mom finally caved in and bought me one at a garage sale one time. I never did figure out how to play that darn thing.
 
 
* Blue eye shadow
* Neon socks
* Scrunch Socks ... You KNOW you did this one! You wore different colors and then layered them opposite on each foot. One foot would have a pink then an orange on top and the scrunched part would be on the bottom half then the other foot would be orange with pink on top with the pink on the bottom half.
* Jean Jackets ... which are still popular
* The Wet Banana Slip n Slides
* Heads Up 7 Up
* Hula Hoops
* Red Rover red Rover send Sally right over ...
* Shasta Pop
* $5 seemed like a million dollars
* Reebok hightops

* Slinky ... I never could get those darn things to work right. Then again ... we did not have any stairs in our house ... so that could have been part of the problem.
* Rubix cube

* The song: Like a Virgin ... sing it with me now ...

I made it through the wilderness.
Somehow I made it through.
Didn't know how lost I was.
Until I found you.
I was beat incomplete.
I'd been had, I was sad and blue.
But you made me feelYeah, you made me feel.
Shiny and new.
Like a virgin.
Touched for the very first time.
Like a virgin.
When your heart beats.
Next to mine.

* JEM dolls
* Joey saying "WOAH" on Blossom
* Boom boxes ... and how some people carried them around on one shoulder
*Alf

* The song: "We are the world" ... sing it with me now:

We are the world.
We are the children.
We are the ones who make a brighter day ... so let's start giving.
There's a choice we're making.
We're saving our own lives.
It's true we'll make a better day.
Just you and me.

* "What are you talkin about Willis?"
* Metal Lunchboxes with a MATCHING thermos ... on a side note: Mine was the Dukes of Hazard

Which means I need to list an obvious ...
* Dukes of Hazard ... I am 99% sure that Bo would have married me if I would not have been 5 years old at the time.

* Saying "Talk to the hand" ... Dad, I added that in there just for you. *giggle*
* Kirk Cameron ... need I say more?!?!?!  YUMMY!!!
 

* Transformers
* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
* G.I. Joe
* Teddy Rumpkinz
* Miss Mary Mack Mack Mack ... All dressed in Black Black Black
* California Raisins
* Fraggle Rock
 
 
* Macerena ... You KNOW you are doing that darn dance in your head RIGHT NOW! Admit it! You KNOW you are!
* Lace Fingerless Gloves ... Madonna was an awesome dresser!
* Going roller skating on Friday and Saturday night
* Lucky rabbit's foot
* Pac Man
* Saturday mornings actually HAD cartoons on it
* Crimped hair
* Atari
* Saved By the Bell ... I was IN LOVE with Zack!!!  (and still am)
 
 
* Glow Worm
* Side walk chalk
* Big Wheels
* Don't worry be happy now ...
* Halloween costumes were a plastic face mask with string to put around your head ... and then a large plastic "sack" to wear on your body
* No Whammy! No Whammy! No Whammy! STOP!
* The song "Party like it is 1999" seemed like a zillion years away.
* UNDERROOS!!! I had Wonderwoman ... and I thought I was the BOMB in those things!!!
* T-Shirt clips
 


* Parachute pants
* Tie-dyed shirts
* Penny loafers ... and you HAD to have a penny in the front of the shoe
* Leg warmers
* Jelly shoes
* New Kids on the Block
* Button fly jeans
* Pepe Jeans
* Cabbage Patch Dolls
* Shirt Tails
 
 
* Breakdancing
* Magic 8 Ball
* Mr. Men and Little Miss
* Molly Ringwald ... She was in every 80's movie I think.
* Baskets were "cool" to have on the front of your bike. And they normally had a large purple or pink flower on them.
* Torn work out shirts
* Stone washed jeans
* Michael Jackson ... I still can not believe the King of Pop is no longer alive. *sigh*

 
* BIG bangs. And man oh my could I rock those bangs like a rockstar!!!
Which leads me to a very important part of the "Big Bangs" section of my life ...

* Aqua Net or Rave hairspray ...  I might be the sole reason there is a hole in the ozone with all of the hairspray I used in the 9
80's
* Metal TV tray that had cartoon images on them.
* Smurfs
* Muppets show on Sundays
* Wooden puzzles for Toddlers
* Diary with a small lock and a small key
* Banana clips
* Barrettes with things hanging from them You remember ... ribbons were woven through them. Usually two different colors, and hung beads on the end of the ribbon.
 
 
* Pound Puppies
* You ended a sentence with the word "Psych"
* Gremblins
* E.T.
* LA Gear
* Jordache jeans ... that was some rockin fashion
* Sweet Valley High
* Plastic Spring Bracelet
* Madonna
* Miami Vice look
* He-Man
 
 
* Biker Shorts ... Of course we had to wear them under miniskirts and under short shorts
* Stirrup pants
* Etch-A-sketch
* Monopoly
* Kangaroo brand shoes ... remember ... they had the small zipper pocket on the side of each shoe
* View Master ... you know ... those red binocular looking things that you put a white circle disk in it ... and then look at different photos.
* Mr. T
*Punky Brewster
*Beverly Hills 90210
* Babysitter Club books ... I SO BADLY wanted to be a member of their group.
 


Well ...

There you have it.

Two LONG days of me reminiscing-flashing back-reliving-remembering-thinking back-going through my memory-looking back-recalling-recollect-returning to my childhood and enjoying all the memories of days gone by in my life.

Unfortunately ... all this blog really did in the end ... was make me think to myself ... "Has it really been THAT long ..."?!?!?!?!

And keep saying to myself ... "Am I really THAT old???"

Please take a moment and vote for my blog.  All you have to do ... is click on the link below ... and it will automatically cast the vote.  Thank you ... each of you ... for voting for my blog.
Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment so I know you were here!!!